Sri Lanka top judge laments state media`s slander campaign
Colombo: Lawyers of Sri Lanka`s top judge Shirani Bandaranayake Wednesday accused the government of running "an organized series of programmes" in state electronic media targeting the Chief Justice, the Judiciary and leading lawyers.
They said said government spin doctors are involved in these "baseless propaganda programmes".
"It is abundantly clear that these are not isolated attacks but meticulously orchestrated attacks coerced and carried out at the behest of highest in authority.
"These are clearly intended to pressurise the Chief Justice to summarily resign, because the Government is well aware that the entire impeachment process is irregular and the Chief Justice cannot be lawfully removed from office", a statement said.
Bandaranayake, 54, country`s first woman Chief Justice was found guilty by a parliamentary select committee in the government moved impeachment against her.
The trial was conducted ex-parte after she and her lawyers walked out accusing bias.
The impeachment process came after months of friction between the government and the chief justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars