Sri Lanka undeterred by `surprise attacks`: Rajapaksa
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has criticised the US-sponsored UNHRC resolution against his country and said the such "attacks would not defeat or intimidate us".
"This attack would not surprise us at all. These attacks would not subdue us either, nor would they defeat or intimidate us in any way", Rajapaksa said in the northwestern provincial district Kurunegala`s military headquarters yesterday.
The President said he was expecting such attacks from the pro-LTTE diaspora and anti-Sri Lanka elements when he was leading his army to militarily crush the LTTE`s separatist campaign.
He also termed all allegations against his government as "false accusations with ulterior motives".
Recalling Sri Lanka`s historical annals, the President drew parallels of the Norwegian-backed ceasefire which ended in 2008 with various invasions of the nation.
"A section of this country before 2009 was identified as an Eelam (Tamil separate state) region. The ceasefire agreement had even acknowledged some recognition to that effect.
"How would it be the situation today unless we managed to annul the international community-engineered ceasefire?" he asked.
India along with 24 other countries on March 21 backed the resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva against Sri Lanka asking it to conduct an "independent and credible" probe into allegations of human rights violations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic