Sri Lankan Army celebrates 63rd anniversary
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army Wednesday celebrated its 63rd anniversary by staging a parade and several other events, an official said.
Army Commander Jagath Jayasuriya presided over a parade here that included a Guard of Honor composed of all regiments under the army, army spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
"This is the third anniversary celebrated after the war (with Tamil Tigers), which ended in 2009," Xinhua quoted Wanigasooriya as saying.
"There are several events that have been organised to recognize the sacrifices made by the Army to protect our motherland," he added.
Ceylon, as it was known then, was endowed with a Regular Force Oct 10, 1949 under the Army Act of 1949 after gaining independence from the British Feb 4, 1948.
The extraordinary gazette in this connection, signed by Don Stephen Senanayake, then defence and foreign affairs minister, was published the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH