Sri Lankan Army celebrates 63rd anniversary
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army Wednesday celebrated its 63rd anniversary by staging a parade and several other events, an official said.
Army Commander Jagath Jayasuriya presided over a parade here that included a Guard of Honor composed of all regiments under the army, army spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
"This is the third anniversary celebrated after the war (with Tamil Tigers), which ended in 2009," Xinhua quoted Wanigasooriya as saying.
"There are several events that have been organised to recognize the sacrifices made by the Army to protect our motherland," he added.
Ceylon, as it was known then, was endowed with a Regular Force Oct 10, 1949 under the Army Act of 1949 after gaining independence from the British Feb 4, 1948.
The extraordinary gazette in this connection, signed by Don Stephen Senanayake, then defence and foreign affairs minister, was published the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Busy bee Nargis Fakhri dusts down rumours, looking forward to promote 'Banjo'!
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why