Sri Lankan Army celebrates 63rd anniversary
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army Wednesday celebrated its 63rd anniversary by staging a parade and several other events, an official said.
Army Commander Jagath Jayasuriya presided over a parade here that included a Guard of Honor composed of all regiments under the army, army spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
"This is the third anniversary celebrated after the war (with Tamil Tigers), which ended in 2009," Xinhua quoted Wanigasooriya as saying.
"There are several events that have been organised to recognize the sacrifices made by the Army to protect our motherland," he added.
Ceylon, as it was known then, was endowed with a Regular Force Oct 10, 1949 under the Army Act of 1949 after gaining independence from the British Feb 4, 1948.
The extraordinary gazette in this connection, signed by Don Stephen Senanayake, then defence and foreign affairs minister, was published the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in