Sri Lankan Army celebrates 63rd anniversary
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army Wednesday celebrated its 63rd anniversary by staging a parade and several other events, an official said.
Army Commander Jagath Jayasuriya presided over a parade here that included a Guard of Honor composed of all regiments under the army, army spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
"This is the third anniversary celebrated after the war (with Tamil Tigers), which ended in 2009," Xinhua quoted Wanigasooriya as saying.
"There are several events that have been organised to recognize the sacrifices made by the Army to protect our motherland," he added.
Ceylon, as it was known then, was endowed with a Regular Force Oct 10, 1949 under the Army Act of 1949 after gaining independence from the British Feb 4, 1948.
The extraordinary gazette in this connection, signed by Don Stephen Senanayake, then defence and foreign affairs minister, was published the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das