Sri Lankan Army celebrates 63rd anniversary
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Army Wednesday celebrated its 63rd anniversary by staging a parade and several other events, an official said.
Army Commander Jagath Jayasuriya presided over a parade here that included a Guard of Honor composed of all regiments under the army, army spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.
"This is the third anniversary celebrated after the war (with Tamil Tigers), which ended in 2009," Xinhua quoted Wanigasooriya as saying.
"There are several events that have been organised to recognize the sacrifices made by the Army to protect our motherland," he added.
Ceylon, as it was known then, was endowed with a Regular Force Oct 10, 1949 under the Army Act of 1949 after gaining independence from the British Feb 4, 1948.
The extraordinary gazette in this connection, signed by Don Stephen Senanayake, then defence and foreign affairs minister, was published the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation