Sri Lankan govt plans for anti- UN report
Colombo: Sri Lankan government has said it
will launch a diplomatic offensive against a UN report which
accused its military of committing war crimes in its final
decisive offensive against Tamil Tigers in 2009.
"The government would take the report seriously and
send teams to India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, the other
Non-Aligned countries including those in Africa and Latin
America to explain why Sri Lanka had no option but to use
military force to liquidate the LTTE`s military capabilities,"
Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa was quoted by the Sunday
Times as saying.
He said a white paper would be prepared outlining the
justification for military action, the civilian casualties
caused by the LTTE and the benefits that have accrued to the
people both in the north and south from the elimination of
It will also include the humanitarian measures taken
by the government during the final offensive against the LTTE
and thereafter for the displaced civilians during the final
stages, especially in the Vanni and Mullaitivu districts.
The UN panel report called for setting up of an
"independent international mechanism" into what it called
"credible" allegations that Sri Lankan military committed war
crimes in its final decisive offensive against Tamil Tigers.
The three-member panel, appointed by UN chief Ban
ki-Moon submitted its report last week without making it
public. But leaked excerpts were published here in media.
The report in addition to its call for an independent
international mechanism, seeks an acknowledgement of
government`s role and responsibility for extensive civilian
The government has dismissed the report as flawed and
Gotabhaya, who is also the brother of President
Mahinda Rajapaksa, lashed out at the report and warned that
Sri Lanka will be forced to look for protection from Russia
and China if UN failed to protect his country.
He accused the UN of being a "pawn of some countries".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?