Sri Lankan guards open fire on rioting prisoners
Colombo: Prison guards opened fire on rioting inmates at Sri Lanka`s main remand prison in the capital Colombo on Tuesday, wounding nearly 20 inmates, officials said.
Inmates clashed with administrative staff of the Magazine prison prompting guards to open fire, a police official at the scene said.
"So far 19 inmates have been brought out with injuries and taken to hospital," the police official said. "There could be more injured."
The inmates, who were protesting over poor quality of food and overcrowding, also set fire to some buildings.
In 2010, more than 50 police and prison guards were wounded in a clash with inmates of the same facility when the authorities tried to seize cell phones illegally used by prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice