Sri Lankan guards open fire on rioting prisoners
Colombo: Prison guards opened fire on rioting inmates at Sri Lanka`s main remand prison in the capital Colombo on Tuesday, wounding nearly 20 inmates, officials said.
Inmates clashed with administrative staff of the Magazine prison prompting guards to open fire, a police official at the scene said.
"So far 19 inmates have been brought out with injuries and taken to hospital," the police official said. "There could be more injured."
The inmates, who were protesting over poor quality of food and overcrowding, also set fire to some buildings.
In 2010, more than 50 police and prison guards were wounded in a clash with inmates of the same facility when the authorities tried to seize cell phones illegally used by prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city