Sri Lankan illegal immigrants sent back by Aus arrested
Colombo: Sri Lankan authorities on Saturday arrested 14 illegal immigrants accused of hijacking a fishing trawler, after they were deported by Australia.
The immigrants about whom the Interpol had been alerted, arrived at the Colombo international airport on a charter flight arranged by Australia.
"They were arrested by the CID after immigration investigations and handed over to the Matara police", police spokesman Prishantha Jayakodi said.
On October 14, five fishermen on a trawler was believed to have faced a pirates attack, off Sri Lanka`s southern coast.
Later it was revealed that the hijacking of the trawler was a planned attack carried out by unscrupulous migration scam operators.
Three of the fishermen were found missing while two of them badly injured were rescued mid-sea by a merchant vessel.
The local police alerted the Interpol after details emerged that the hijacking of the trawler was part of the immigration scam of sending asylum seekers to Australia.
"We have been told that they were intercepted by Australian authorities on Thursday" a police spokesman said.
Police say they have arrested over 1,000 people since the beginning of the year for trying to leave Sri Lanka for Australia on board fishing trawlers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre