Sri Lankan Navy arrests 20 TN fishermen
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Navy today arrested 20 fishermen from here on charges of crossing IMBL when they were fishing near Katchatheevu, a senior Fisheries Department official said.
All the arrested were taken to Talaimannar along with their four boats. The navalmen who came in five patrol boats also snapped the fishing nets.
The Navy had on June 29 arrested 17 fishermen along with their three boats when they were fishing near Katchatheevu, police had said.
The series of arrests of fishermen had led Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to write to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, seeking immediate release of the fishermen.
Jayalalithaa had also renewed her plea for nullifying the "unconstitutional" Indo-Sri Lankan Agreements of 1974 and 1976 and demanded that steps be taken to restore the traditional rights of Indian fishermen.
She also reiterated her demand for retrieval of Katchatheevu islet ceded to Sri Lanka to protect the fishing rights of Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe