Sri Lankan President orders Fonseka`s release
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has ordered the release of his former Army chief turned political rival Sarath Fonseka, paving the way for him to walk out of prison after two years.
Rajapaksa signed the papers on Friday ordering for the release of Fonseka prior to his departure to Qatar on Saturday, presidential spokesman Bandula Jayasekera told reporters here.
The papers were handed over to presidential chief of staff Gamini Senarath for onward transmission to the Ministry of Justice on Monday, following which the formalities for Fonseka`s release would be completed.
Rajapaksa departed last night on a state visit to Qatar.
Fonseka is currently serving a three-year jail term, having been convicted by the High Court in what was termed as the `white flag` case.
He was charged of causing public disaffection of the state through his statement that the senior defence establishment had ordered the killing of LTTE formers who turned up at the Army with white flags during the final day of the military clashes in May 2009.
Expectations for Fonseka`s release had mounted when his wife Anoma said earlier this week that Rajapaksa had expressed a desire to grant him a presidential pardon.
Fonseka also received bail this week in the case where he was accused of harbouring military deserters.
As the military chief, Fonseka had led the Sri Lankan Army to a crushing victory over the LTTE rebels in 2009. But he fell out with his commander-in-chief Rajapaksa immediately after the war ended.
Rajapaksa ordered Fonseka`s detention almost immediately after he had crushed the former Army chief in the 2010 Presidential Election.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata