Sri Lankan President orders Fonseka`s release
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has ordered the release of his former Army chief turned political rival Sarath Fonseka, paving the way for him to walk out of prison after two years.
Rajapaksa signed the papers on Friday ordering for the release of Fonseka prior to his departure to Qatar on Saturday, presidential spokesman Bandula Jayasekera told reporters here.
The papers were handed over to presidential chief of staff Gamini Senarath for onward transmission to the Ministry of Justice on Monday, following which the formalities for Fonseka`s release would be completed.
Rajapaksa departed last night on a state visit to Qatar.
Fonseka is currently serving a three-year jail term, having been convicted by the High Court in what was termed as the `white flag` case.
He was charged of causing public disaffection of the state through his statement that the senior defence establishment had ordered the killing of LTTE formers who turned up at the Army with white flags during the final day of the military clashes in May 2009.
Expectations for Fonseka`s release had mounted when his wife Anoma said earlier this week that Rajapaksa had expressed a desire to grant him a presidential pardon.
Fonseka also received bail this week in the case where he was accused of harbouring military deserters.
As the military chief, Fonseka had led the Sri Lankan Army to a crushing victory over the LTTE rebels in 2009. But he fell out with his commander-in-chief Rajapaksa immediately after the war ended.
Rajapaksa ordered Fonseka`s detention almost immediately after he had crushed the former Army chief in the 2010 Presidential Election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals