Sri Lankan soldiers injured in accidental explosion
Colombo: At least six soldiers have been injured in an accidental explosion in the former LTTE territory of Mullaithivu in north Sri Lanka.
Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya, the military spokesman said that in a former LTTE base in Udayarkattukulam a minor explosion had occurred during preparatory work for construction work there.
Preliminary investigations showed that a stock of detonators hidden by the LTTE had exploded when a soldier unknowingly dug the ground for some construction work, Wanigasooriya said.
Mullaithivu for decades remained the LTTE`s military capital when they ran a parallel administration in the north and east.
Last month, after 4 years since the LTTE was defeated, the military said an underground bunker used by the late LTTE leader Velupillai Prabakaran had been discovered in Mullaithivu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest