Sri Lankans protest against Geneva resolution
Colombo: Some 2,000 Sri Lankans marched to the British High Commission here Tuesday to condemn Western countries for a resolution that accuses Colombo of committing "war crimes".
The noisy protesters urged Britain not to support the US-sponsored resolution seeking to probe into human rights violations when the military crushed the Tamil Tigers in 2009, Xinhua reported.
The UN Human Rights Council is to vote on the resolution also co-sponsored by France, Norway, Nigeria and Cameroon.
Over the last two weeks, street protests have continued in Colombo, pitting government supporters and Buddhist monks mostly against Western diplomatic missions including those of Germany, France and the US.
The Sri Lankan government has assigned a large team to Geneva to lobby against the resolution and has is banking on friendly countries to defeat it.
On Monday, India announced it intended to back the resolution.
The resolution asks Sri Lanka to set a time frame for implementing the recommendations of its war commission and to conduct an independent probe into alleged war crimes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!