Sri Lankans protest ruling against Chief Justice
Colombo: Hundreds of Sri Lankans have hit the streets to protest against a parliamentary committee that ruled the country`s Chief Justice is unfit to hold office because of unexplained wealth and misuse of power.
Opposition lawmakers, lawyers and rights activists joined the protest in the capital Colombo today, demanding that the government halt an impeachment process against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
The committee said Saturday that it investigated five of the 14 charges against Bandaranayake and concluded that she was guilty of three of them. Bandaranayake has denied all the allegations.
The ruling came after Bandaranayake and four opposition party members, who were part of the committee, walked out of the hearing, saying they had no faith in the fairness of the process.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today