Sri Lankans protest ruling against Chief Justice
Colombo: Hundreds of Sri Lankans have hit the streets to protest against a parliamentary committee that ruled the country`s Chief Justice is unfit to hold office because of unexplained wealth and misuse of power.
Opposition lawmakers, lawyers and rights activists joined the protest in the capital Colombo today, demanding that the government halt an impeachment process against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
The committee said Saturday that it investigated five of the 14 charges against Bandaranayake and concluded that she was guilty of three of them. Bandaranayake has denied all the allegations.
The ruling came after Bandaranayake and four opposition party members, who were part of the committee, walked out of the hearing, saying they had no faith in the fairness of the process.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!