Sri Lankans protest ruling against Chief Justice
Colombo: Hundreds of Sri Lankans have hit the streets to protest against a parliamentary committee that ruled the country`s Chief Justice is unfit to hold office because of unexplained wealth and misuse of power.
Opposition lawmakers, lawyers and rights activists joined the protest in the capital Colombo today, demanding that the government halt an impeachment process against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
The committee said Saturday that it investigated five of the 14 charges against Bandaranayake and concluded that she was guilty of three of them. Bandaranayake has denied all the allegations.
The ruling came after Bandaranayake and four opposition party members, who were part of the committee, walked out of the hearing, saying they had no faith in the fairness of the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win