Sri Lankans protest ruling against Chief Justice
Colombo: Hundreds of Sri Lankans have hit the streets to protest against a parliamentary committee that ruled the country`s Chief Justice is unfit to hold office because of unexplained wealth and misuse of power.
Opposition lawmakers, lawyers and rights activists joined the protest in the capital Colombo today, demanding that the government halt an impeachment process against Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake.
The committee said Saturday that it investigated five of the 14 charges against Bandaranayake and concluded that she was guilty of three of them. Bandaranayake has denied all the allegations.
The ruling came after Bandaranayake and four opposition party members, who were part of the committee, walked out of the hearing, saying they had no faith in the fairness of the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city