Sri Lanka`s top judge asked to appear for impeachment
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s top judge was Monday asked by the Parliament to appear before it for an impeachment hearing on Friday after rejecting her appeal for more time to prepare for her case.
An 11-member parliamentary select committee summoned Shirani Bandaranayake, 54, to appear before them on November 23.
The 14-point impeachment motion accuses her of personal and professional misconduct and seeks her removal from office.
The issue figured in today`s parliamentary proceedings too.
The main opposition leader Ranil Wickremesinghe told the Parliament that Bandaranayake must be made available during the process of impeachment and all legal procedures which are part of any normal litigation.
The senior minister Nimal Siripala de Silva, who is a member of the government side at the impeachment process, said that the government had no intention of changing any parliamentary standing orders to suit the impeachment.
The motion which came in as a result of a month’s long dispute between the government and the chief justice has come in for condemnation by US, Commonwealth and international rights watch groups as action undermining the independence of judiciary.
Meanwhile, a civil society activist, Chandra Jayaratne, filed a petition in Appeals Court demanding a writ against the motion tabled in the Parliament.
Jayaratne has claimed that the motion was an attack on the independence of the island`s judiciary.
Bandaranayake has denied all allegations levelled against her by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?