Sri Lanka`s top judge walks out of impeachment hearing
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s first woman Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake today stormed out of the impeachment hearing against her in parliament, saying she will not be given a fair trial.
Bandaranayake would not attend the parliament select committee proceedings any more, sources close to her said. They said she and her lawyers protested that they could not expect a fair hearing.
Bandaranayake, 54, was attending the third day`s hearing today of the probe where she is accused of 14 charges of private and professional conduct as the top judge.
Her lawyers had protested against lack of time allowed for the investigation and refusal to allow cross examination of witnesses, source said.
Bandaranayaka was impeached on November 1 when a group of parliamentarians handed over the motion to the speaker of parliament.
In accordance with the procedure, the speaker appointed a 11-member select committee.
Bandaranayake`s walk out came as opposition legislators in the panel yesterday hinted that they may stay away from proceedings.
The impeachment came as a result of months long dispute between the judiciary and the executive.
Meanwhile, a parliamentary official said today`s hearing, the third since it began on November 23, ended abruptly as Bandaranayake staged her dramatic walkout and vowed not to attend any more hearings of a panel dominate by ruling party MPs.
Meanwhile, the ruling party sources said the select committee would continue its hearings.
They would reconvene in parliament tomorrow, the sources added.
However, there was no reaction from the four members of the opposition.
The sources denied the judge`s assertion that the panel`s ruling party majority had attempted to introduce fresh charges and had tried to amend the original charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened