Stability of Pakistan key to success in region: US
Washington: Political stability in Islamabad is the key to success of America`s effort of bringing peace in Afghanistan-Pakistan region, a top US official said on Wednesday.
"Going forward, we will continue to be very focused on Pakistan`s stability. But also we will be working to bring Pakistan into our broader region-wide framework for bring peace to Afghanistan," said Vali Nasr, senior advisor to the Special Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrook, said.
"It is difficult to imagine a country of such vital strategic importance and vital key ally of the United States in that region that faces a more daunting set of problems," he said in a meeting at the Centre for American Progress, a Washington-based think tank.
"Pakistan at this critical time, as we speak, is still struggling to consolidate its transition to democracy at the same time as it has been facing a major Taliban offensive that has engulfed the country`s northwest frontier and has set up major refugee crisis in Pakistan," Nasr said.
He observed that Pakistan`s economy which was battered by major financial crises has been severely hit by the recent electricity shortage.
Administration is engaged in intense diplomacy right now to create a much more broad-based international support for its development needs, for its security needs and for facing the challenges before it, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3