Stable Pakistan essential for peace, progress in region: UK
Karachi: Britain on Sunday said a stable and
secure Pakistan was essential to have peace and progress in
"It is absolutely essential that there is stability
and security in Pakistan if we are to have peace and progress
in this region," British Foreign Minister David Miliband told
reporters after visiting the Mausoleum of Quaid-e-Azam in
Asking for an end to the ongoing political clashes in
Karachi, Miliband said the international community was greatly
disturbed by the violence in the port city.
"Karachi is the hub of Pakistan`s economy and there
should be an end to this political violence. It is a city
which has opened its arms and offers livelihood to many people
who have lived together peacefully for years," he said.
A spate of target killings in the last few weeks has
left over 100 people dead in the city with the Mutthaida Qaumi
Movement, Awami National party and ruling Pakistan Peoples
Party all claiming their workers were being targeted.
Today, the crisis management cell of the federal
government asked all parties to submitted names of their
workers who have fallen victim to target killings in the city.
The MQM and ANP submitted lists of their killed
workers with Faisal Sabzwari, a parliamentarian from MQM,
claiming that since last year 80 workers of the party had been
Police said atleast 41 people have lost their lives in
the last four days in target killings including six since last
Miliband said the UK was keen to increase its trade
ties with Pakistan and that is why it was keen to see peace in
"I have met with young business leaders and
industrialists today and have had constructive discussions
with them," he said.
Miliband also said last year the United Kingdom had
issued more visas to Pakistani nationals then it did in 2008.
"Atleast that is a step in the right direction and
something to build on. Contrary to what some people think we
are keen to have more Pakistanis come over to UK for studies,
business and visits," Miliband said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'