Statue of peace at the Osama’s hideout site?
Lahore: Residents of Bilal town in the Pakistani garrison city of Abbottabad where Osama Bin Laden was killed last year have asked the government to build a "statue of peace" or a beautiful monument at the site of his compound to remind the world that there is no place for such a terrorist mastermind.
Ahead of the first anniversary of the death of the al-Qaeda chief on May 2, security forces have been put on high alert across Pakistan to counter any possible terrorist attacks.
"We have written to the Pakistan government to build either a statue of peace or a beautiful monument at the site where Laden lived illegally.
"By doing so, we should give a message to the world that the man who was the symbol of terror is no more along with his philosophy. His elimination will bring peace to the world," Zubair Ahmed, a resident of Bilal Town neighbourhood where bin Laden`s compound was located, said on phone.
Ahmed, a banker by profession, said he had heard that a playground would be built at the site of the compound, which was demolished in February.
"These days, boys playing cricket there," he said.
Bin Laden lived at the compound in Bilal Town with his three wives and several children for about five years before he was killed in a unilateral US military raid early on May 2 last year.
The operation embarrassed the Pakistani security establishment, which was dogged by questions about whether senior officials had been aware of bin Laden`s presence in a compound located a stone`s throw from the elite Pakistan Military Academy.
Even a year after the US operation, certain restrictions continue to affect the lives of residents of Abbottabad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez