Stop drone attacks, Zardari tells US
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari has urged the US to stop drone attacks in the country`s tribal areas after a group of parliamentarians spoke of the growing resentment among local people against it.
The issue came up when parliamentarians from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) met Zardari on Monday, Dawn reported.
President`s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said the FATA delegation apprised the president of the resentment against drone attacks. They also highlighted civilian casualties in the attacks.
Zardari spoke of the need to transfer drone technology to police and civil armed forces, Babar said.
Zardari said the government had a clear stance that drone attacks were counter-productive and were intensifying anti-American sentiments.
"Although members of FATA delegation agreed that several top militant leaders have been killed in US drone attacks, the number of civilian casualties has become quite high, causing anti-government and anti-US sentiments in tribal areas," Babar was quoted as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged