Stop drone attacks, Zardari tells US
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari has urged the US to stop drone attacks in the country`s tribal areas after a group of parliamentarians spoke of the growing resentment among local people against it.
The issue came up when parliamentarians from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) met Zardari on Monday, Dawn reported.
President`s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said the FATA delegation apprised the president of the resentment against drone attacks. They also highlighted civilian casualties in the attacks.
Zardari spoke of the need to transfer drone technology to police and civil armed forces, Babar said.
Zardari said the government had a clear stance that drone attacks were counter-productive and were intensifying anti-American sentiments.
"Although members of FATA delegation agreed that several top militant leaders have been killed in US drone attacks, the number of civilian casualties has become quite high, causing anti-government and anti-US sentiments in tribal areas," Babar was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly