‘Stop playing hide and seek’ over Zardari’s immunity: Pak SC to NAB
Islamabad: Reprimanding the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) over its dilly-dallying attitude, the Pakistan Supreme Court has asked the bureau to “stop playing hide and seek” over the immunity status granted to President Asif Ali Zardari and seek the custody of the documents relating to the USD 60 million money laundering case which the government had withdrawn from Swiss courts.
“For how long will this hide and seek continue,” asked Justice Javed Iqbal while hearing a fraud case.
Noting that it is the apex court only which has the authority to interpret the Constitution, Iqbal directed the bureau to submit an application explaining whether any one enjoyed immunity under the Constitution.
“Neither the NRO judgment is person-specific nor the court is interested in personalities,” The Dawn quoted Iqbal, as saying.
NAB’s acting chairman Irfan Nadeem told the court that the bureau had written a letter to the Law Ministry seeking instructions for reviving the corruption cases since the President enjoyed immunity under Article 248 of the Constitution.
“The ministry in turn referred the matter to the Attorney General’s office and its reply was still awaited,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune