Strike cripples life across Nepal
Kathmandu: A nationwide general strike on Sunday enforced by the political parties opposed to the Chief Justice-led caretaker government crippled life across Nepal.
Educational institutions, markets and most of the factories remained closed while vehicles remained off the road in the capital and other major cities during the strike called by a coalition of 33 political parties.
The opposition parties demand removal of Chief Justice Khil Raj Regmi-led government and formation of a government under political leadership for conducting fresh elections.
Mohan Vaidya, chairman of the Communist Party of Nepal (CPN-M), the break away faction of Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) (UCPN-M), has warned to foil the forthcoming election for the Constituent Assembly if efforts were made to hold election without addressing their demands.
The agitating groups said that they won`t join the elections conducted by the Regmi-led interim election council.
They also rejected the government`s offer to hold talks to resolve the crisis as they will only sit for talks with the four major parties who installed the Chief Justice-led government to hold the elections.
Nepal has plunged into a political and constitutional crisis after the Constituent Assembly was dissolved by Maoist Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai in May last year without drafting the Constitution.
The crisis further deepened as Bhattarai announced fresh elections in November 2012 but failed to conduct polls.
A election government under the chairmanship of Regmi was formed last month to hold the polls in June but an exact date has not been set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage