Strike cripples life across Nepal
Kathmandu: A nationwide general strike on Sunday enforced by the political parties opposed to the Chief Justice-led caretaker government crippled life across Nepal.
Educational institutions, markets and most of the factories remained closed while vehicles remained off the road in the capital and other major cities during the strike called by a coalition of 33 political parties.
The opposition parties demand removal of Chief Justice Khil Raj Regmi-led government and formation of a government under political leadership for conducting fresh elections.
Mohan Vaidya, chairman of the Communist Party of Nepal (CPN-M), the break away faction of Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) (UCPN-M), has warned to foil the forthcoming election for the Constituent Assembly if efforts were made to hold election without addressing their demands.
The agitating groups said that they won`t join the elections conducted by the Regmi-led interim election council.
They also rejected the government`s offer to hold talks to resolve the crisis as they will only sit for talks with the four major parties who installed the Chief Justice-led government to hold the elections.
Nepal has plunged into a political and constitutional crisis after the Constituent Assembly was dissolved by Maoist Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai in May last year without drafting the Constitution.
The crisis further deepened as Bhattarai announced fresh elections in November 2012 but failed to conduct polls.
A election government under the chairmanship of Regmi was formed last month to hold the polls in June but an exact date has not been set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon