Struggle for `Pakhtoonkhwa` a milestone in Pashtun identity
Peshawar: A decision by a top Pakistani
Parliamentary panel to rename North West Frontier Province as
Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa could be an important milestone in the
six decade-long struggle for the recognition of Pashtun ethnic
The 26-member parliamentary committee on
constitutional reforms yesterday achieved consensus on
renaming NWFP as Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa.
The movement for renaming the NWFP, parts of which are
now on the frontline of Pakistan’s campaign against the
Taliban-led insurgency, saw many ups and downs over the past
few decades as the country made its way though dictatorial
regimes and democratic governments.
Since 1947, Pashtun nationalists like Khan Abdul
Ghaffar Khan, Khan Abdul Wali Khan and Ajmal Khattak led the
movement for the acceptance of their people?s distinct
The Awami National Party, which emerged as the ruling
Pakistan People?s Party?s main coalition partner in the NWFP
after the 2008 general election, pushed for changing the name
of the province to Pakhtoonkhwa.
The party did not want to miss an opportunity as it
was aware that President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister
Yousuf Raza Gilani were in conformity with the demand.
Zardari and Gilani frequently referred to NWFP as
Pakhtoonkhwa in public appearances, something that was
unimaginable for Pashtuns.
Such developments rejuvenated the spirit of ANP
leaders, who cashed in on the situation despite some
opposition to the renaming of the NWFP from sections of people
in the province.
"There has been a long debate as to why the ANP could
not muster support for the name Pakhtoonkhwa despite the fact
that Pashtuns are in a majority in the province," said
legislator and dissident ANP leader Arshad Khan.
The proposal to rename the NWFP is part of a
groundbreaking constitutional reforms package finalised by a
parliamentary panel yesterday.
The package seeks to slash President?s sweeping powers
and remove changes made to the constitutional by former
military rulers Zia-ul-Haq and Pervez Musharraf to strengthen
their grip on power.
The ANP pushed for the NWFP to be renamed Pakhtoonkhwa
as Pashtuns comprise 75 per cent of the province?s population
of 20 million, but the move was opposed by the opposition
PML-N, which said the name would alienate minorities in the
The PML-N suggested non-ethnic names like Khyber and
Abaseen (the Pashto name for the Indus river) before the
parliamentary committee reached comprise by settling on Khyber
Analysts believe the compromise was influenced by
senior ANP leader and Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmed Bilour?s
veiled threat that the NWFP should get the name Pakhtoonkhwa
or else the people could opt for the "Bengali model", a
reference to breaking away of East Pakistan in 1971 due to
The ANP also showed flexibility on the issue of
renaming the province as the party faced criticism from
certain pockets, especially Dera Ismail Khan, the Hazara
division and, ironically, people in some Pashtun-dominated
The ANP also played down the demand by non-Pashto
speaking people for a referendum on the issue and opted for
its approval by parliament through a constitutional amendment.
"If the issue had gone to referendum, it would have
been catastrophic for the ANP," said a senior government
official on condition of anonymity.
The NWFP legislature had passed a unanimous resolution
suggesting Pakhtoonistan as the new name for the province but
it was modified to Pakhtoonkhwa to avoid controversies
attached to the name since Partition.
Some circles in the ANP are still opposed to adding
Khyber to Pakhtoonkhwa but the party?s senior leaders have
pacified them by saying the opportunity to rename the province
should not be missed.
"The opponents will call it Khyber and the supporters
as Pakhtoonkhwa," said school teacher Khan Faraz.
"We have scores of other bigger problems like price
hikes, shortages of flour, sugar and electricity and lack of
employment," he added.
The residents of NWFP capital Peshawar have shown
mixed reaction to the move to rename the province, with a
majority adopting silent posture as no major celebrations were
witnessed except for a gathering at Qayum sports complex that
was attended by provincial Information Minister Mian Iftikhar
About 2,500 people attended the gathering though
Peshawar has a population of over 200,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered