Students protest military search at Lankan varsity
Colombo: Around 20 students were injured on Wednesday as they clashed with Sri Lankan troops and police in Jaffna to protest a military search at a university in the former LTTE stronghold.
Tamil party sources said that police and army stormed the university dormitories yesterday searching for LTTE propaganda material after students tried to mark the LTTE "heroes week", the last week of November when the Tamil Tigers used to commemorate fallen cadres.
Police spokesman Prishantha Jayakodi said the police used minimum force to prevent the students from staging an illegal march while carrying placards.
This was the first major clash since the defeat of former Tamil rebels since 2009.
Tamil parties claimed that a vehicle of a Jaffna MP was also damaged as he tried to intervene and stop the clash between the police and the students.
Jaffna, the cultural capital of the Tamils and its university was the centre of the LTTE activities during its over three-decades-long separatist campaign.
Sri Lanka lifted a state of emergency in August last year after defeating Tamil Tigers. But troops and paramilitary police units are often deployed to back police to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...