Students union set 3 buses on fire in east Nepal
Kathmandu: Three buses of a Delhi Public School branch in eastern Nepal were set afire by activists of a student`s union affiliated to the breakaway hardline faction of the Maoists, protesting against schools running under foreign investment.
The buses carrying 150 students of class XI and XII were enroute Dharan yesterday, when the radical Maoist student activists stopped it near Charkose Jungle area at Seuti Khola river and set it on fire.
However, all students were safe and another school bus was sent to rescue them later.
The student union -- All Nepal National Free Students Union - Revolutionary (ANNFSUR) is affiliated to the CPN-Maoist party led by hardliner Mohan Vaidya "Kiran" who recently broke away ranks with the Prachanda-led Maoists to form a more radical outfit.
Delhi Public School Dharan is affiliated to India`s Delhi Public School.
The union had also enforced a two-day shutdown in Dharan and Sunsari districts over the last two days to protest against schools operating under foreign investments, promoting foreign culture and charging high fees.
Some eight student unions have been protesting since the past few months.
However, ANNFSU-R close to the CPN-Maoist was mainly responsible for the attack carried out yesterday, sources said.
"It`s a heinous crime to attack school buses despite the fact that schools are declared peace zone," Dil Kumar Ban, Chairman of Private and Boarding School Organisation Nepal (PABSON) said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Rs 5 lakh compensation to family of woman devoured by dogs in Kerala
- At least 3 killed in suicide attack in Afghanistan's Balkh province
- UN General Assembly President-elect to visit India
- India needs to tread the innovation path to progress
- Janmashtami 2016: Send these devotional TEXT MESSAGES to your loved ones right away!