‘Sub-standard construction material led to Bangladesh building collapse’
London: A Bangladesh Government report into the collapse of a multi-storied factory building has uncovered a series of violations.
The report revealed that the building had been constructed with sub-standard materials on unsuitable land.
According to the BBC, it also recommended life sentences for the building`s owner and the owners of five garment factories operating there.
The Rana Plaza collapse on 24 April, which killed more than 1100 people, is one of the world’s worst industrial disasters and sparked global outrage.
In the wake of the disaster, there have been a series of angry protests by workers in the garment industry.
The disaster has prompted the government to introduce some reforms and some international retailers have also proposed an accord to improve safety conditions in Bangladesh.
The 400-page report was submitted to the government on Wednesday. It also made several recommendations, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India