Suicide attack in Pakistan’s Peshawar city, 12 dead
Islamabad: At least twelve people were killed and over a dozen others were injured when a suicide bomber targeted the convoy of a senior security forces official in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan on Friday.
According to eye witnesses, the attacker detonated his explosive vest when the convoy of Frontier Constabulary commandant Abdul Majeed Khan Marwat slowed down near a check post in Sadar area within the Peshawar cantonment.
The commandant remained safe though his vehicle was damaged. Two women were killed instantly while three persons succumbed to their injuries in hospital, officials said.
The injured were taken to the Lady Reading Hospital and a military hospital. Officials said four Frontier Constabulary personnel were among the injured. Some of the wounded were in a serious condition, they said.
Marwat told the media that his convoy was the target of the attack. He said the explosion occurred a short distance from his vehicle.
Footage on television showed several vehicles and motorcycles were damaged by the explosion.
Ambulances rushed the injured to hospital as paramilitary personnel and army soldiers cordoned off the area.
Witnesses said they had seen the body parts and the head of the suicide bomber.
No group claimed responsibility for the blast though such attacks are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
In August 2010, then Frontier Constabulary commandant Sifwat Ghayur was killed in a similar suicide attack on his convoy in Sadar area of Peshawar.
With PTI input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends