Suicide blast kills Afghan district Governor, dozens injured
Kunduz: A suicide bomber Friday detonated himself at a mosque in northern Afghanistan, killing the local district governor with other casualties feared.
"The bomber targeted Sheikh Sadruddin, the district governor of Archi, this morning in the yard of a mosque while he was attending a prayer ceremony," Sayed Sarwar Husseini, spokesman for the province of Kunduz said.
"We can confirm that Sadruddin was killed and there are reports of several other casualties as well. We are trying to get more updated information."
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which occurred close to the border with Tajikistan.
Taliban insurgents have launched a spate of attacks in recent days, with more than 30 people killed on Wednesday in separate strikes, including 15 policemen shot in an ambush in the western province of Farah.
The Taliban regularly target foreign and Afghan soldiers, police and officials in their guerrilla war against President Hamid Karzai`s Western-backed government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cheat days? John Abraham’s words will give you serious fitness goals – Read more
- Govt lists GST Bill for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha's agenda for next week
- Kasol - Rejuvenate yourself with serenity, peace in the nature's lap
- Gurgaon waterlogging: This is how Twitterati reacted after traffic choked Gurugram
- Bridge collapses in Nepal due to flooding – watch dramatic video