Suicide blast kills Afghan district Governor, dozens injured
Kunduz: A suicide bomber Friday detonated himself at a mosque in northern Afghanistan, killing the local district governor with other casualties feared.
"The bomber targeted Sheikh Sadruddin, the district governor of Archi, this morning in the yard of a mosque while he was attending a prayer ceremony," Sayed Sarwar Husseini, spokesman for the province of Kunduz said.
"We can confirm that Sadruddin was killed and there are reports of several other casualties as well. We are trying to get more updated information."
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which occurred close to the border with Tajikistan.
Taliban insurgents have launched a spate of attacks in recent days, with more than 30 people killed on Wednesday in separate strikes, including 15 policemen shot in an ambush in the western province of Farah.
The Taliban regularly target foreign and Afghan soldiers, police and officials in their guerrilla war against President Hamid Karzai`s Western-backed government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'