Suicide bomb kills anti-Taliban elder in Afghanistan
Kabul: A suicide bomber on foot killed an anti-Taliban village elder and at least three other people in a busy marketplace today in central Afghanistan, the latest in a wave of assassinations and bombings.
Habibullah Khan was killed along with two bodyguards and a civilian bystander in the afternoon attack in Ghazni province`s Moqur district, police said. At least 14 civilians were wounded, most of them shoppers and merchants.
Deputy Provincial Police Chief Asadullah Insafi said Khan led an uprising last year against the Taliban`s shadow government in his district, driving the insurgents out.
Taliban insurgents have pushed a campaign of assassinations of pro-government figures to try to weaken confidence in Afghan government ahead of the withdrawal of most international forces by the end of next year.
In the past week alone, a provincial council chief along with 13 others were killed in a suicide bombing at the council headquarters, and twin blasts killed nine people in an elite gated community for government officials and business owners outside of the southern city of Kandahar.
The Taliban seek to re-establish the strict interpretation of Islamic law they imposed for five years before being ousted in the 2001 US-led invasion over its sheltering of al-Qaeda`s leadership.
Another common insurgent tactic is planting makeshift land mines on roads. A suspected bomb maker in Ghazni died today when explosives he was carrying on a bicycle went off without warning. Two bystanders were wounded, police said.
A motorcycle hit a roadside bomb in the southern province of Helmand today. The driver was killed and three bystanders were wounded, said Deputy Provincial Police Chief Ghulam Rabbani Bahawi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire