Suicide bomb kills at least nine in Balochistan
Quetta: Nine people were killed and more than 35 injured Saturday when a suicide bomber on a bicycle blew himself up near a security forces truck in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, officials said.
Two of the dead were paramilitary soldiers while seven were civilians, police said citing initial reports.
The bombing took place outside district courts in Quetta where a truck was picking up soldiers who had been on a routine security patrol.
A paramilitary spokesman confirmed the bombing and said that two soldiers had died and 10 others had been wounded.
"Two of our soldiers were martyred in the bombing and 10 others were wounded," a paramilitary spokesman told AFP.
Senior police official Imtiaz Shah said that the suicide bomber was on a bicycle.
Initial reports by bomb disposal experts suggested that the explosives weighed up to 15 kilograms (33 pounds).
Nobody immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing but Taliban militants and separatist groups are active in the region.
Quetta is the capital of the restive Balochistan province, which is also home to a separatist insurgency that has been raging since 2004.
The province`s roughly seven million inhabitants have long complained they do not receive a fair share of its gas and mineral wealth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?