Suicide bomber attacks Afghan Army bus; 10 wounded
Kabul (Afghanistan): A Taliban suicide bomber in a black overcoat and carrying an umbrella as a shelter against the heavy snow crossed a street in Kabul on Wednesday toward a bus filled with Afghan soldiers, where he laid down and slithered underneath.
A witness said the attacker then detonated his explosives, engulfing the undercarriage of the bus in flames. The bomber was killed, and at least 10 people six soldiers and four civilians were wounded, according to the Kabul police chief`s office.
The bombing the second attempted strike in the capital this week was a reminder of the Taliban insurgency`s ability to hit the Afghan government even with about 100,000 international troops helping secure the country.
The Afghan government uses buses to ferry soldiers, police and office workers into the city center for work every day. These vehicles, which run regular routes, have been a common target for insurgents.
Soldiers were about to board the bus when the attacker slid underneath and detonated his vest, said Ahmad Shakib, who saw the attack unfold from across the street.
Shakib said the attacker did not rush but moved purposefully across the snowy street. When the man started to push himself under the bus, Shakib thought at first he was a driver`s assistant trying to fix something.
"I thought to myself, `What is this crazy man doing?` And then there was a blast and flames,`" Shakib said. "It was a very loud explosion. I still cannot really hear."
The owner of a nearby bakery said that six people who were waiting outside his shop to buy bread were wounded. The windows of Mirza Khan`s bakery also shattered.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the bombing in a text message to The Associated Press.
The attack comes three days after a would-be car bomber was shot dead by police in downtown Kabul. That assailant was driving a vehicle packed with explosives and officials said he appeared to be targeting an intelligence agency office nearby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested