Suicide bomber gunned down inside Islamabad mosque
Islamabad: A would-be suicide bomber was on Friday gunned down in an exchange of fire, which also claimed the life of a security guard, in a Shiite mosque in Pakistan`s capital here.
The suspect entered the Jamia Masjid while prayers were in progress. When the attacker`s jacket did not explode, he fired indiscriminately killing a guard of the mosque and injuring two people.
Initial reports suggest the bomber got into a scuffle with the guard, shooting him when he was denied entrance to the main hall of the mosque. Security personnel in the mosque killed the suicide bomber by firing back.
Senior Superintendent of Police Operation Rizwan told a TV channel that the mosque has now been sealed off by police personnel and that the bomb disposal squad has been called in to clear the area of any explosives.
Security has been beefed up in Islamabad and the rest of the country due to threats of terrorist attacks on the Muslim holy day of Eid ul-Fitr.
The attack in Bhara Kahu, a village on the northeastern outskirts of Islamabad, came hours after gunmen opened fire on worshippers leaving prayers for the Eid ul-Fitr festival at a mosque in Quetta killing at least 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional