Suicide bomber kills policeman in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: A suicide bomber targeted a police patrol in Mardan district of northwest Pakistan on Saturday, killing a policeman and injuring six others, officials said.
The incident occurred at a market in Katlang town, located about 50 km from Peshawar, the capital of the restive Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
DIG Jaffar Khan confirmed a suicide bomber was involved in the attack.
Policemen spotted two suspicious men on a motorcycle and began chasing them.
One of the men blew himself up near a police van, killing a policeman and injuring two policemen and four civilians, officials said.
Some reports said the bomber who blew himself up was injured in an exchange of fire with the police.
The bomber`s companion managed to escape.
Officials said they had launched a search operation in the area.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which has carried out a string of bombings and suicide attacks over the past few weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'