Suicide bomber kills policeman in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: A suicide bomber targeted a police patrol in Mardan district of northwest Pakistan on Saturday, killing a policeman and injuring six others, officials said.
The incident occurred at a market in Katlang town, located about 50 km from Peshawar, the capital of the restive Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
DIG Jaffar Khan confirmed a suicide bomber was involved in the attack.
Policemen spotted two suspicious men on a motorcycle and began chasing them.
One of the men blew himself up near a police van, killing a policeman and injuring two policemen and four civilians, officials said.
Some reports said the bomber who blew himself up was injured in an exchange of fire with the police.
The bomber`s companion managed to escape.
Officials said they had launched a search operation in the area.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, which has carried out a string of bombings and suicide attacks over the past few weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?