Suicide bomber strikes Afghan border police
Kandahar: A suicide bomber detonated his cache of explosives late Sunday near the gate of an Afghan Border Police residence in Kandahar where insurgents are waging a campaign of targeted killings.
Kandahar Police Chief Sher Mohammed Zazai said at least three people were wounded in the attack in the northeast part of Kandahar city.
"There was a suicide attacker on a motorbike who blew himself up when he got near the gate," Zazai said.
Zelmai Ayubi, spokesman for the provincial governor of Kandahar, said at least four border policemen were wounded in the attack.
He said two other suicide attackers entered the police compound, but were shot dead by police during a gunbattle before they could detonate their vests of explosives.
NATO is pouring troops into southern Afghanistan as part of a stepped-up security operation in Kandahar.
Earlier yesterday, two militants on a motorbike opened fire on a car belonging to a National Security Directorate official who was on his way to work, Zazai said. The intelligence official`s driver was killed.
Separately, a US service member was killed yesterday following an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan, NATO said.
Alliance spokesman Col Wayne Shanks confirmed an American died yesterday but declined to provide details, pending notification of the service member`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands