Suicide bomber targets Afghan governor`s compound
Kabul: A suicide bomber targeted the compound of an Afghan governor in the north of the country on Tuesday, seriously wounding a child after detonating explosives strapped to his body, officials said.
An interior ministry spokesman said the attacker attempted to enter the Parwan governor`s office but it was not immediately clear why he detonated his explosives at the entrance without proceeding further.
"Based on initial reports one child was wounded in the blast," the spokesman, Seddiq Seddiqi said.
In recent months, there has been a spike in Taliban insurgent activities in northern Afghanistan, which until several years ago was largely peaceful.
On May 28, the police chief of the north was killed in a suicide attack in Kunduz. Three German soldiers and four others were also killed.
The Taliban are traditionally active in southern and eastern parts of the country but attacks are increasing in the north and west as the militia presses a nearly 10-year insurgency against the Western-backed government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest