Suicide bomber targets Afghan jihadi in Peshawar, 3 killed
Islamabad: A suicide bomber targeted a senior Afghan jihadi leader in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing three persons and injuring several others, police said.
The bomber walked up to a SUV owned by jihadi leader Haji Hayatullah and set off his explosive vest, witnesses said.
Hayatullah, an Afghan national, was not harmed as he was in a nearby mosque attending Friday prayers. The powerful blast destroyed the vehicle and killed Hayatullah`s driver and two bodyguards.
Police officials said the bomber struck as Hayatullah`s vehicle emerged from the gate of his Madrasa Jamia Uloom-e-Islamia at Pachagai Road.
Superintendent of Police Khalid Hamdani said the bomber blew himself up near the driver`s door.
The body parts of the bomber, including his legs and part of the skull, were found by police.
The bomber`s vest contained six kilograms of explosives and ball bearings, Hamdani said.
Some 100 students were present in the seminary and some of them sustained minor injuries in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hayatullah is a leader of the Afghan group Jamaat-ul-Dawat Al-Quran. He is the nephew of Maulvi Jamilul Rehman, the founder of the Jamaat-ul-Dawat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?