Suicide bomber targets Afghan jihadi in Peshawar, 3 killed
Islamabad: A suicide bomber targeted a senior Afghan jihadi leader in Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan on Friday, killing three persons and injuring several others, police said.
The bomber walked up to a SUV owned by jihadi leader Haji Hayatullah and set off his explosive vest, witnesses said.
Hayatullah, an Afghan national, was not harmed as he was in a nearby mosque attending Friday prayers. The powerful blast destroyed the vehicle and killed Hayatullah`s driver and two bodyguards.
Police officials said the bomber struck as Hayatullah`s vehicle emerged from the gate of his Madrasa Jamia Uloom-e-Islamia at Pachagai Road.
Superintendent of Police Khalid Hamdani said the bomber blew himself up near the driver`s door.
The body parts of the bomber, including his legs and part of the skull, were found by police.
The bomber`s vest contained six kilograms of explosives and ball bearings, Hamdani said.
Some 100 students were present in the seminary and some of them sustained minor injuries in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hayatullah is a leader of the Afghan group Jamaat-ul-Dawat Al-Quran. He is the nephew of Maulvi Jamilul Rehman, the founder of the Jamaat-ul-Dawat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!