Suicide bombers hit Afghan spy building in Kandahar
Kandahar: Suicide bombers struck inside Afghanistan`s Kandahar city on Monday where US forces plan a major offensive this year, and protesters rallied against the latest report of civilian deaths by NATO troops.
The attack was the second big raid in weeks in the city, birthplace of the Taliban and the planned target of a major operation by NATO forces in coming months as they try to turn the tide against the Taliban in a war now more than eight years old.
In another part of Kandahar province, hundreds of protesters demonstrated against the killing of four civilians, officials said were shot by international troops, a sign of the growing tension between Afghans and foreigners in recent days.
In the attack in Kandahar, a group of three suicide bombers attempted to seize the main intelligence building in the heart of the city in a brazen daylight raid, officials said.
"They were armed with guns, hand grenades and suicide vests," President Hamid Karzai`s half-brother, Ahmad Wali Karzai, head of Kandahar`s provincial council, said.
"One of them managed to blow himself up and the other two were gunned down. Two security officials were wounded," he said, adding the situation was under control after an exchange of fire between the security forces and the assailants.
The assailants threw a hand grenade at a school, wounding a teacher and another worker, he added.
People fled the streets in panic and scores of police and Army soldiers poured onto the city`s main streets, witnesses said.
The Taliban have staged a series of complex attacks, involving gunmen and suicide bombers who attempt to seize government buildings, in several southern cities and the capital Kabul in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM