Suicide bombing toll in Pakistan rises to 39
Islamabad: The death toll in a
devastating suicide car bomb attack in northwest Pakistan
on Friday rose to 39 as more bodies were pulled out of the rubble
of buildings that collapsed when the attacker detonated his
explosives-laden vehicle in a congested area of Hangu city.
Four bodies were retrieved from the debris today while
two persons succumbed to their injuries in hospital, officials
in Hangu said. At least 10 policemen were among the dead.
Over 50 people were injured in the deadly attack
carried out by the Pakistani Taliban to avenge the killing of
Osama bin Laden in a US raid on May 2.
The bomber detonated his explosives near several
government offices and a court complex in the heart of Hangu
city of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Masood Afridi said
an estimated 450 kg of explosives was used in the attack.
The powerful blast destroyed 30 shops and several
government buildings, including the office of the district
administration chief, a police station and the district
courts. Relief operations at the site of the attack continued
for the second day today.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan
accepted responsibility for the attack in phone calls to
He warned the Taliban would soon carry out "bigger
attacks" as revenge for bin Laden`s killing.
Cities across Pakistan have witnessed a string of
deadly attacks in the wake of bin Laden`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video