Suicide bombing toll in Pakistan rises to 39
Islamabad: The death toll in a
devastating suicide car bomb attack in northwest Pakistan
on Friday rose to 39 as more bodies were pulled out of the rubble
of buildings that collapsed when the attacker detonated his
explosives-laden vehicle in a congested area of Hangu city.
Four bodies were retrieved from the debris today while
two persons succumbed to their injuries in hospital, officials
in Hangu said. At least 10 policemen were among the dead.
Over 50 people were injured in the deadly attack
carried out by the Pakistani Taliban to avenge the killing of
Osama bin Laden in a US raid on May 2.
The bomber detonated his explosives near several
government offices and a court complex in the heart of Hangu
city of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Masood Afridi said
an estimated 450 kg of explosives was used in the attack.
The powerful blast destroyed 30 shops and several
government buildings, including the office of the district
administration chief, a police station and the district
courts. Relief operations at the site of the attack continued
for the second day today.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan
accepted responsibility for the attack in phone calls to
He warned the Taliban would soon carry out "bigger
attacks" as revenge for bin Laden`s killing.
Cities across Pakistan have witnessed a string of
deadly attacks in the wake of bin Laden`s death.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living