Suicide car bomber kills 4 in NW Pakistan
Islamabad: A suicide car bomber killed three policemen and a child on Saturday in an attack on a police station in a northwestern Pakistani town, police said.
Al Qaeda-linked Pakistani militants have carried out numerous attacks on members of the security forces over the past couple of years, and they stepped up strikes after the Army launched an offensive on their main bastion in October.
The blast in the town of Karak, 200 km (125 miles) southwest of Islamabad, came as police were on the alert for attacks on religious processions to mark the anniversary of the Prophet Mohammad`s birth.
"The blast destroyed part of police station and a nearby mosque," police official Gul Sadi Khan said, adding three policemen had been killed. "Thirteen people have been wounded and we fear more people are trapped under the debris."
Another police official said a child passer-by had also been killed.
Karak is in North West Frontier Province, which has borne the brunt of attacks over the past year.
The Pakistani Taliban, allies of the Afghan Taliban, have lost much ground in Army offensives over the past year.
They were pushed out of the Swat valley, northwest of Islamabad, and in October the army began a big offensive in the militants` South Waziristan bastion on the Afghan border.
Pakistani action against militants on the border is seen as crucial for efforts to bring stability to Afghanistan, where US forces are spearheading one of NATO`s biggest offensive against the Afghan Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie