Suicide car bomber kills soldier in NW Pakistan
Mingora: A suicide car bomber shot at guards and detonated his explosives at the gate of a paramilitary base in northwestern Pakistan before dawn on Monday, killing one soldier and wounding a dozen other people.
The bomber first tried to force his way onto the base in Lower Dir district by shooting at troops and policemen guarding the gate, said Maj Suleman Khan, a spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier Corps. He blew himself up after realising he couldn`t penetrate the base, said Khan.
The explosion killed one soldier and wounded 12 other people, including 10 troops and two policemen, said Raffat Ali, a local police officer. Two civilians were wounded by retaliatory fire from the troops and policemen trying to repel the bomber, said Ali.
Lower Dir is near the Afghan border and was a militant stronghold until the spring of 2009 when a military offensive there and in neighbouring Swat reclaimed the area from insurgents. But sporadic violence still occurs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'