Suicide car bomber kills soldier in NW Pakistan
Mingora: A suicide car bomber shot at guards and detonated his explosives at the gate of a paramilitary base in northwestern Pakistan before dawn on Monday, killing one soldier and wounding a dozen other people.
The bomber first tried to force his way onto the base in Lower Dir district by shooting at troops and policemen guarding the gate, said Maj Suleman Khan, a spokesman for the paramilitary Frontier Corps. He blew himself up after realising he couldn`t penetrate the base, said Khan.
The explosion killed one soldier and wounded 12 other people, including 10 troops and two policemen, said Raffat Ali, a local police officer. Two civilians were wounded by retaliatory fire from the troops and policemen trying to repel the bomber, said Ali.
Lower Dir is near the Afghan border and was a militant stronghold until the spring of 2009 when a military offensive there and in neighbouring Swat reclaimed the area from insurgents. But sporadic violence still occurs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog