Suicide car bomber strikes Afghan city, kills 1
Kabul: A suicide car bomber attacked a police station in southern Afghanistan`s largest city on Monday, killing one police officer in the blast, officials said.
The attacker drove a Toyota Corolla up to the checkpoint outside of the police station in Kandahar and detonated his explosives, said the city`s police chief, Abdul Raziq.
Four people were wounded in the explosion — two police officers and two civilians, he added.
Gunfire could be heard immediately following the blast, but Raziq said the shots came from the police.
A civilian compound nearby was also destroyed, according to a statement from the Kandahar government`s media office.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but it fit the pattern of Taliban assaults, which usually focus on government installations or security forces.
The city of Kandahar has continued to be the target of attacks despite a massive campaign by NATO and Afghan forces last year to increase security in and around the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!