Suicide car bomber strikes Afghan city, kills 1
Kabul: A suicide car bomber attacked a police station in southern Afghanistan`s largest city on Monday, killing one police officer in the blast, officials said.
The attacker drove a Toyota Corolla up to the checkpoint outside of the police station in Kandahar and detonated his explosives, said the city`s police chief, Abdul Raziq.
Four people were wounded in the explosion — two police officers and two civilians, he added.
Gunfire could be heard immediately following the blast, but Raziq said the shots came from the police.
A civilian compound nearby was also destroyed, according to a statement from the Kandahar government`s media office.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but it fit the pattern of Taliban assaults, which usually focus on government installations or security forces.
The city of Kandahar has continued to be the target of attacks despite a massive campaign by NATO and Afghan forces last year to increase security in and around the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical