Summons against Mush in London newspapers?
Karachi: A Pakistani court has directed that its order summoning former President Pervez Musharraf in a treason case be published in newspapers in London where he is on a lecture tour.
A division bench of the Sindh High Court comprising Chief Justice Sarmad Jalal Usmani and Justice Sajjad Ali Shah issued the directive while hearing a petition seeking
the registration of a treason case against Musharraf for subverting the constitution by declaring an emergency Nov 3, 2007.
The order came after the court was informed that the summons could not be served as Musharraf was currently in London.
The court had originally issued the summons April 14 on a petition filed by Moulvi Iqbal Haider of the Awami Himayat Tehrik, an insignificant political party. Former Attorney General Malik Qayyum was also named in the summons for alleged "abrogation and subversion of the constitution" for declaring the emergency, promulgating the Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO) and sacking 60-odd Supreme Court and High Court judges after they refused to take fresh oath under it.
However, going by Musharraf`s track record, he is unlikely to respond to the summons even if it is published in a newspaper. In July, he had ignored a Supreme Court summons while it was hearing a petition urging that the emergency be declared illegal, which the court subsequently accepted.
On Sep 28, the Lahore High Court issued notice to Musharraf and nine others after they failed to appear for a hearing in a case relating to the Dec 27, 2007 assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
Judge Ejaz Ahmad Chaudhry of the Rawalpindi bench of the high court issued the notice on a petition filed by Chaudhry Aslam, Bhutto`s former protocol officer, seeking the registration of a first information report (FIR) on her killing.
Judge Chaudhry had Sept 1 summoned, among others, Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Babar Awan and then Punjab Chief Minister Pervez Elahi, to appear Sept 28.
On Aug 10, police in Islamabad booked Musharraf for ordering the house arrest of the sacked Supreme Court judges.
The "unprecedented first in Pakistan`s history" could "actually see" Musharraf land in prison "or at the minimum turn his stay abroad into a permanent exile", a newspaper report said at that time.
"An ironic fate of twist for a man who once boasted that he would never allow (former prime ministers) Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto to end their exile on their own and return to Pakistan. The table stands turned on its head," the report added.
The Islamabad police registered a criminal case following the orders of the Additional Sessions Judge, Islamabad, Mohammad Akmal Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'