Sushil Koirala asks Vaidya to participate in Nepal polls
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala has asked Maoist hardline leader Mohan Vaidya to join the electoral process, saying that there is no alternative to elections for resolving the prolonged political deadlock.
Koirala, who is the coordinator of High Level Political Mechanism, had asked Vaidya, the chairman of CPN-Maoist -- the breakaway faction of UCPN-Maoist -- and Upendra Yadav, the chairman of Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum Nepal, to participate in the Constituent Assembly polls.
Though the government has not yet fixed the date for the CA polls it is likely that political parties will agree on a November date to elect a Constituent Assembly that would draft a new Constitution.
The Constituent Assembly formed in 2008 was dissolved in May 2012 after the parties failed to reach consensus on drafting a Constitution due to differences on federal structure to be incorporated in the new Constitution.
The NC president said there was no alternative to elections for resolving the prolonged political deadlock.
In response, Vaidya said they were ready to hold talks with the political parties for resolving the problem.
He was, however, quick to respond that there was no significance of holding talks with the current government headed by chief justice Khil Raj Regmi.
Claiming that his party was not against the elections, Vaidya said they have been agitating against the government as it was formed unconstitutionally.
Vaidya and other two dozen fringe parties have been agitating against the government demanding resignation by head of the election government Regmi and formation of a political government through consensus.
Koirala even offered Vaidya to join the High Level Political Mechanism formed by four major parties to guide and advise the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?