Suspected al Qaeda activist arrested in Lahore varsity
Islamabad/Lahore: A young foreign national, suspected to be an al Qaeda activist, has been arrested by Pakistani security agencies from a hostel of the Punjab University, officials said on Saturday.
The youth, believed to be an Arab national, arrived in Lahore for leading a "fidayeen" (suicide) mission and was allegedly provided shelter by the Islami Jamiat Tulba (IJT), the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islami.
Intelligence operatives raided a room in Punjab University Hostel No 1 on Tuesday night and arrested the high-profile suspect. He was taken to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
Punjab University spokesman Khurram Shahzad said that intelligence agencies did not inform Vice-Chancellor Mujahid Kamran about their operation.
He said the university had allotted a room to Statistics Department student Ahmed Sajjad, who allegedly had an association with the IJT.
Shahzad said the university had launched an investigation into the matter as it believed that some elements in the IJT had links with militant organisations.
The university is considered a stronghold of the IJT, which has denied any link with the arrested suspect.
"We had not given shelter to any suspected terrorists," IJT spokesman Abdul Moqeet said.
Sources said the arrested youth was allegedly involved in subversive activities in Pakistan`s tribal areas and had come to Lahore for leading a mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?