Suspected al Qaeda activist arrested in Lahore varsity
Islamabad/Lahore: A young foreign national, suspected to be an al Qaeda activist, has been arrested by Pakistani security agencies from a hostel of the Punjab University, officials said on Saturday.
The youth, believed to be an Arab national, arrived in Lahore for leading a "fidayeen" (suicide) mission and was allegedly provided shelter by the Islami Jamiat Tulba (IJT), the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islami.
Intelligence operatives raided a room in Punjab University Hostel No 1 on Tuesday night and arrested the high-profile suspect. He was taken to an undisclosed location for interrogation.
Punjab University spokesman Khurram Shahzad said that intelligence agencies did not inform Vice-Chancellor Mujahid Kamran about their operation.
He said the university had allotted a room to Statistics Department student Ahmed Sajjad, who allegedly had an association with the IJT.
Shahzad said the university had launched an investigation into the matter as it believed that some elements in the IJT had links with militant organisations.
The university is considered a stronghold of the IJT, which has denied any link with the arrested suspect.
"We had not given shelter to any suspected terrorists," IJT spokesman Abdul Moqeet said.
Sources said the arrested youth was allegedly involved in subversive activities in Pakistan`s tribal areas and had come to Lahore for leading a mission.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read