Suspected militants blow themselves up in Pakistan
Muzaffarabad, Pakistan: Three suspected Taliban militants blew themselves up on Saturday as police chased them in Pakistani Kashmir, police said.
Militants have carried out a series of bomb attacks across Pakistan in recent weeks in retaliation for a military offensive in the northwest, but there have been no attacks in Pakistan`s part of the disputed Kashmir region.
The Saturday incident will revive concern that the militants are trying to expand their campaign of violence to distract the military as it makes progress in an offensive in South Waziristan on the Afghan border.
Police said they launched a hunt in Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistani Kashmir, after residents reported that three men had dumped a bag of weapons on a road in the centre of the town.
"They ran towards the mountains when our men chased them and blew themselves as we got close," Tariq Qayyum, a senior police official, told.
"Their bodies have blown apart. We have found two heads and a torso."
Kashmir is at the core of a decades-old dispute between Pakistan and India and the cause of two of their three wars since their independence from British rule in 1947.
Separatist insurgents backed by Pakistan have been fighting Indian security forces in India`s part of the Himalayan region for the past 20 years, but Pakistani Kashmir had been largely peaceful.
Two Pakistani soldiers were killed in the first suicide attack in Pakistani Kashmir in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says