Swine flu in Bhutan, 4 test positive
Thimphu: Bhutan has become the latest country to be affected by swine flu with four Bhutanese testing positive for the pandemic virus, two of whom were detected within the country. Officials said a three-year-old girl and a 38-year-old woman, both residents of Thimphu but from different families, tested positive.
"We found that they hadn``t gone out of Thimphu at all," said health director Ugen Dophu. Health officials are still investigating the source of the flu in Bhutan.
"It``s important for us to know where they got the flu from. But the two infected have now recovered," Dophu told the state-run daily Kuensel.
The two other cases were detected outside Bhutan. According to the department of public health, a 38-year-old man, pursuing his master``s in Bangkok, was the first Bhutanese to be infected by the flu.
He had left Bhutan on June 4, fell ill on June 12 and 13 and by June 16 tested positive. "They initially thought he``d brought it from Bhutan, but later found that he``d got it in Bangkok.
It was his first visit out of Bhutan," said Dophu. The second Bhutanese to get the flu was one of eight students, who were in Japan on a study tour.
"The rest of the group were given Tamiflu," said Dophu. According to WHO, 135 countries have been infected by the flu as of July 8, killing over 700 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27