Swiss letter writer will be a traitor, says Gilani
Islamabad: Former Pakistan prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said anyone who writes a letter to the Swiss authorities asking to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari, would be committing treason, as Zardari enjoys constitutional immunity from prosecution under Article 248.
"I refused to write the letter because I had sworn to protect the Constitution," the Daily Times quoted Gilani, as saying.
Gilani said there would be no clash among institutions if they worked within their constitutional limits.
The Supreme Court dismissed Gilani as premier on June 19, after convicting him of contempt in April for refusing to reopen the multi-million-dollar case against Zardari.
Incumbent Premier Raja Pervez Ashraf was elected as the premier after Gilani`s dismissal.
The allegations against Zardari date back to the 1990s, when he and his late wife, former premier Benazir Bhutto were suspected of using Swiss bank accounts to launder USD 12 million allegedly paid in bribes by companies seeking customs inspection contracts.
The Swiss shelved the case in 2008 when Zardari became President and the government had been insisting that the president has full immunity. But in 2009 the apex court overturned the NRO ordering that the cases be reopened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble