Tajammul Lodhi wanted to ‘placate’ mother by hurling shoe at Musharraf
Karachi: An angry lawyer on Friday lobbed a shoe at former Pakistani military dictator Pervez Musharraf when he appeared at a court here, in a bid to satisfy his mother who hated the ex-president for the 2007 Lal Masjid operation.
The man, identified as advocate Tajammul Lodhi, hurled the shoe towards Musharraf while he was leaving the Sindh High Court after obtaining a 15-day extension of his pre-arrest bail in a series of cases, including the 2007 assassination of ex-Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
The shoe fell a few feet in front of 69-year-old Musharraf, who was surrounded by security personnel and TV cameramen.
Footage on TV showed the shoe flying through the air and landing among a group of people in front of Musharraf.
Pakistan Rangers personnel detained Lodhi on the charge of throwing the shoe at Musharraf, Geo TV reported. Lodhi was taken to undisclosed location by security personnel.
Lodhi later told TV channels that he had thrown the shoe as he hated Musharraf for trying to destroy democracy in the country.
"My mother has hated him since the Lal Masjid operation and today I am happy I was able to give her some satisfaction," Lodhi said.
Musharraf, who recently returned to Pakistan after nearly four years of self-exile, went to the court to seek extension of his pre-arrest bail. A bench extended the bail by 15 days.
This was not the first time that a shoe was hurled at Musharraf. In 2011, a man tried to hurl his shoe at him when he was addressing a gathering in Britain.
Angry scenes were witnessed in the court complex as a group of lawyers shouted slogans against Musharraf. There were heated exchanges between lawyers and Musharraf supporters.
Musharraf`s security guards rushed him out of the court complex.
Sindh High Court Chief Justice Musheer Alam has ordered a judicial inquiry into the chaotic scenes over the shoe throwing incident within the court premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says