Taliban aims to take over Pakistan, its nukes
Washington: The Taliban has said they
have no plans to attack Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal, asserting
that it is the only Muslim state possessing such weapons and
the terror group aims to take over the country as well as its
Taliban has stepped-up violent campaign to avenge
Osama bin Laden`s death has renewed fears that the country`s
warheads could be vulnerable.
> Declaring that "Pakistan is the only Muslim nuclear
power state," Taliban Spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan said that his
group had no intention of changing the fact, Wall Street
Journal reported. The Taliban, after all, aim to take over
Pakistan and its weapons, he said.
A well coordinated Taliban attack on Pakistan key
naval airbase at Karachi had triggered fresh global alarm that
radical militant groups operating from the country`s restive
tribal areas bordering Afghanistan might be out to snatch
Seeking to dismiss these concerns, Ehsan claimed that
US was using this as an excuse to pressurise Pakistan
government and military into fighting Taliban, whom he
portrayed as country`s true protectors.
"Isn`t it a shame for us to have the Islamic bomb, and
even then we are bowing down to the pressures of America?" the
Taliban spokesman mocked.
WSJ said Ehsan`s remarks appeared tailored to appeal
to that increasingly nationalist mainstream, where conspiracy
theories flourish about American, Indian and Israeli plots to
deprive Pakistan of its atomic arsenal.
Pakistan`s nuclear capability is cherished here as the
guarantor of safety from India`s far larger conventional
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- PHOTO: Vivian Richards' son Mali captures Virat Kohli's knock in painting
- SHOCKING: Bernie Ecclestone's mother-in-law kidnapped in Brazil, abductors demand $36.5 m as ransom
- Badshah's Hindi cover of Justin Bieber’s 'Sorry' is out and, dayum, it's addictive!
- Subramanian Swamy wants discussion on Mahatma Gandhi killing in Rajya Sabha
- Mercedes-AMG SLC43 launched in India at Rs 77.5 lakh