Taliban ambush kills 7 Pak soldiers
Islamabad: Seven Pakistani paramilitary
troopers were killed today when Taliban militants ambushed a
vehicle of security forces in the volatile North Waziristan
tribal region, officials said.
The attack occurred at Khar Kamar, 30 km from Miranshah,
the main town of the semi-autonomous tribal district that US
and Afghan officials describe as a safe haven for Taliban and
al Qaeda elements.
The militants fired at the vehicle with automatic weapons
and rockets, killing seven personnel of the Frontier Corps
instantly, security officials told the media.
Reports said nine militants were killed in retaliatory
action by the security forces but this could not be
Additional troops backed by helicopters launched an
operation in the area after the ambush, officials said.
Pakistan has persistently rejected pressure from the US
to launch an offensive against the Taliban in North Waziristan
The region is the stronghold of the Haqqani network,
which is considered to be close to the Pakistan security
The Haqqani network uses its bases in North Waziristan to
mount attacks on US and allied forces across the border in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you