Taliban ambush kills 7 Pak soldiers
Islamabad: Seven Pakistani paramilitary
troopers were killed today when Taliban militants ambushed a
vehicle of security forces in the volatile North Waziristan
tribal region, officials said.
The attack occurred at Khar Kamar, 30 km from Miranshah,
the main town of the semi-autonomous tribal district that US
and Afghan officials describe as a safe haven for Taliban and
al Qaeda elements.
The militants fired at the vehicle with automatic weapons
and rockets, killing seven personnel of the Frontier Corps
instantly, security officials told the media.
Reports said nine militants were killed in retaliatory
action by the security forces but this could not be
Additional troops backed by helicopters launched an
operation in the area after the ambush, officials said.
Pakistan has persistently rejected pressure from the US
to launch an offensive against the Taliban in North Waziristan
The region is the stronghold of the Haqqani network,
which is considered to be close to the Pakistan security
The Haqqani network uses its bases in North Waziristan to
mount attacks on US and allied forces across the border in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song