Taliban attack checkpoints, one Afghan police killed
Kandahar: An Afghan official says the Taliban have attacked three police checkpoints overnight in the southern province of Helmand. The police repelled the attacks but lost one officer.
Police chief of Marjah district, Zamaria Zarak, said on Friday that at least 13 insurgent fighters were killed in the gunbattles that followed the checkpoint attacks.
Taliban militants have been intensifying attacks on Afghan security forces seeking to destabilise the country ahead of a key presidential election in April and the pullout of most foreign coalition forces at the end of the year.
Afghanistan`s 350,000-strong police and army have taken over almost all security responsibility and have suffered hundreds of casualties per month in battles, assassinations and bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest