Taliban attack checkpoints, one Afghan police killed
Kandahar: An Afghan official says the Taliban have attacked three police checkpoints overnight in the southern province of Helmand. The police repelled the attacks but lost one officer.
Police chief of Marjah district, Zamaria Zarak, said on Friday that at least 13 insurgent fighters were killed in the gunbattles that followed the checkpoint attacks.
Taliban militants have been intensifying attacks on Afghan security forces seeking to destabilise the country ahead of a key presidential election in April and the pullout of most foreign coalition forces at the end of the year.
Afghanistan`s 350,000-strong police and army have taken over almost all security responsibility and have suffered hundreds of casualties per month in battles, assassinations and bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding