Taliban attack in Kabul ends, all militants killed
Kabul: A brazen suicide attack mounted Monday morning by heavily armed Taliban rebels who seized the four-storeyed traffic police headquarters here ended after a fierce gun battle that left at least three police personnel dead and 22 injured. All attackers were also killed.
The Taliban Monday seized the traffic police office in the Afghan capital Kabul following a suicide attack in which at least two militants were involved, reported Xinhua.
The attack took place at 5.50 a.m. in the building located at Dehmazang intersection. The militants used rocket propelled grenade and the heavy weapons to fight the Afghan police and commandos in the area.
At least two militants were killed as they set off their explosive vests at the main gate of the compound, enabling other gunmen to enter the building. The rebels started firing against nearby Afghan Border Police and Civil Order Police facilities.
Operations against Taliban gunmen who seized the traffic police facility ended Monday afternoon, with all the militants having been killed, the Kabul police chief said.
"The operation has ended. All militants, who seized the four-storey Kabul Traffic Police Headquarters building early Monday morning, have been killed in the counter-attack operation," police chief Mohammad Ayub Salangi told reporters.
"At least three traffic police officers were killed and 22 other people, including 18 civilians, were wounded in the gunfight and explosions in today`s Taliban attack," a police official told Xinhua.
The assault started around 5.50 a.m. and ended at 2.15 p.m. Monday.
Taliban insurgents have claimed responsibility for the attack.
Special operation police forces and Afghan commandos rushed to the site shortly after the fighting began, a witness told Xinhua.
The attack is the latest in a string of bombings that have targeted military and civilian compounds across the country.
On Jan 16, Taliban carried out a coordinated suicide bombing at Afghan intelligence agency compound in Kabul, killing one security officer and wounding 33 civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title