Taliban attack NATO trucks in Pak; one killed
Islamabad: Pakistani Taliban militants today carried out two attacks on NATO container trucks in the Khyber tribal region in country`s northwest, killing one person and injuring another in the first strikes since supply routes to Afghanistan were reopened earlier this month.
In the first incident, armed men riding a motorcycle fired at three container trucks near the market in Jamrud town of Khyber Agency, a short distance from Peshawar.
The driver of a truck was killed and his helper was seriously injured, officials of the local administration said. The attackers also took away two containers, they said.
In the second incident, militants fired at container trucks near Landi Kotal town though no one was injured, officials said. The trucks were without security when they were attacked.
These were the first attacks on container trucks carrying supplies to NATO troops in Afghanistan since Pakistan ended a nearly seven-month blockade of land routes.
Islamabad reopened the supply lines after the US apologised for a NATO air strike that had killed 24 of its soldiers last November.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan have threatened to attack NATO trucks and tankers and the Defa-e-Pakistan Council, an alliance of extremist and religious groups, has organised protests against the reopening of supply routes.
Very few NATO trucks have crossed over to Afghanistan since Pakistan ended the blockade and Washington and Islamabad are expected to sign a memorandum of understanding on the transportation of supplies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service